Episode: E85 – Parenting strategies for the Anxious Child with Sonja Latifpour.
Guest(s): Sonja Latifpour, Registered Social Worker, Child Psychotherapist and Mom of 4
Today on ParentTalk, Geneviève and Heather are welcoming Sonja Latifpour, Registered Social Worker, Child Psychotherapist and Mom of 4, to talk about Parenting strategies for the Anxious Child.
• How to recognize if my child is anxious.
• When a parent might be concerned about their child’s anxiety being more than what is normal.
• How anxiety in parents can affect the child and what anxiety looks like in the family.
• How parents can create more anxiety by being too helpful.
• How letting your child cancel on a playdate, or pretend to be sick for a school performance might help in the short term but may make things worse long term.
• Using empathy as the first step in calming your child.
• Next steps to take after helping your child calm down and other strategies you can use or teach your child.
• How you can model flexibility and have a positive response to managing your own anxiety.
• When you should seek professional help.
Click the arrow below to listen. (31:51)
Never miss an episode of Parent Talk Podcasts
Enter you info below and click subscribe.